Wednesday, May 5, 2010

guided lesson (small group instruction)

The second strategy that Marla Newton talked about was guided lessons. After a whole class lesson, the teacher pulls a group to work with with her, while the rest of the class are doing various activities. The teacher then reteaches the lesson with a different example. For Example, when teaching a lesson on persuasive writing today, our class looked at a persuasive sample text together. We then went through it together and talked about the features of a persuasive text. I created an anchor chart with them to keep in the classroom. I then gave the class an activity to do independently. During this time, I pulled my IEP and ESL students to work with me. We went through the entire lesson again with a different sample text.
During the guided lesson, I realized that my IEP students really didn't get anything out of the whole class lesson. It really benefited them to hear the entire a lesson again, and force them to follow along. A lot of times, these students find it hard to focus in a large group setting.

No comments:

Post a Comment